How well do you Rest?
There is a story in the Bible about Gideon, who was charged with finding an army of men capable of fighting a foreign invading force.
One of the criteria was how the men took a drink of water from the local river. Gideon took 10,000 men down to the river to quench their thirst. Those who lapped water like a dog were asked to leave, and those who used their hands, and remained ready and aware of themselves and their current surroundings were allowed to stay.
This is merely my opinion, because is not noted in the story, but those men who used their hands to drink water(and were allowed to stay), and remained on the ready while quenching their thirst in the middle of a hot middle eastern day.—–“rested well”
During the Regional Training Camp at Hyperfit a few weeks ago, I either overhead a conversation, or briefly talked about how well the regional athletes were “resting” mid workout.
Those who appeared to be suffering during their rest inevitably did not finish as fast as those who didn’t allow their inner struggle to be seen in their body language. Even at CrossFit Legacy, there are those at the gym, who are told, “I can never tell that you are suffering so much in a workout!” Yet, there are also those who would like to entire gym to know that the workout is hard whether others are looking or not.
The take away here is that how you maintain your composure during a workout will affect how you progress through a workout and how you finish.
—-Keep your head up
—Control your breathing(belly breathe)
—Have a plan before the workout begins
—be willing to adjust your plan(after you get hit in the face)
—Positive self talk
—being dramatic won’t make you go faster
—always keep moving
—keep your hands off your knees
These are just a few things to keep in mind, but the next time a workout makes you feel like your soul is being ripped out of you, don’t show it. Rather, say to yourself, “this is tough, but I am tougher!”
The better you rest, the faster you will go and the fitter you will become.
By the way, only 300 men remained after Gideon took them to the river, so it is a rare thing to rest well.
Here’s your mission should you choose to accept….
1. Find a friend, neighbor, co-worker or complete stranger. Get them to do squats with you, video it and upload it to the Public Legacy Facebook page. Comment with the number of squats completed. The person with the highest combined number of squats recorded on video(s) (everyone in the video counts) will be crowned the winner and go home with a brand new Rogue Jump Rope of their choice.
2. But that’s not all. We want to know which video you think is the best… So cast your vote and the video with the most likes as of 4:00pm 10/18 will win a Legacy T-shirt. So get everyone you know to like your video!
Lets break it down: (note: we changed where to upload them!)
- Find someone, a stranger, or 100 strangers, friends, co-workers or family members…
- Other Legacy athletes do not qualify
- Video yourself and the others doing air squats together
- Each video you submit must have the other and yourself completing a minimum of 1 squat together but your goal is to get as many squats with each person as you can
- Upload your video each time you complete a new set of squats with a new person or group of people throughout the day or night
- You must upload the video to the Public Facebook page and say how many squats were completed in each video
- Again, You must upload the video from your account to the Public Legacy page and tell the number of squats performed in the video so that there is no confusion of who the squat points go to (lets be honest here)
- Videos not on on Legacy Page and videos without a squat count will not qualify
- Video’s must be submitted with Facebook time stamp between the 24 hour time period 4:00pm 10/16 to 4:00pm 10/17
- Any video’s posted outside that time frame will not count toward the total number of squats
- Each persons squat in the video’s count toward your total. Meaning if you, your butcher, your baker and candle stick maker shoot a video doing 5 squats each, your total count for that video would be 20 squats. (Wear a CrossFit Legacy Tshirt and get 5 extra bonus squats per video)
- The total number of squats will be tallied and the person with the most squats wins
- A second prize will be awarded to the person with the most video likes as well. So get everyone to like your videos!
- Video polling will go until 4:00pm on 4/18 so make sure you get your votes in by that time.
- Both winners of the Rogue Jump Rope and the Legacy T-shirt will be announced on 10/19 on the Legacy Main Facebook Page and blog.
New CrossFit Legacy contest being announced tomorrow at 4pm. Available to everyone.
Rules/Information to be released via website and Facebook at 4pm.
Win some Legacy gear and CrossFit equipment!!!!
Stay tuned…..and check back tomorrow at 4pm.